adsense

Custom Search

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Valentines Day

Our first Valentines as a married couple began with a huge snow storm that basically snowed us in for the remainder of the day and the day after that. So, it was definitely a good idea that I had planned to make Valentines dinner at home instead of going out. Earlier that week I had gone to the Commissary to get a 7 lb chicken (obviously, I have never roasted a chicken before because 7 lbs is quite large for just the two of us, but hey we had chicken sandwiches for the rest of the week! ) Thankfully, I was nervous enough to put the chicken in the oven to roast at 3pm, since it didn't get done till 7pm, so sometimes be anxious about something is a good thing. lol. So, basically I just cleaned the chicken, stuffed lemon slices between the breast meat and the breast skin, then sprinkled on salt, pepper , olive oil and lemon zest all over the chicken and roasted it with potatos, carrots and onions. It turned out quite moist actually. It is definitely a must do since the meat really stretches out for the rest of the week.

I also baked a German Chocolate Cake for dessert. I actually used only 2 tablespoons butter, and the rest of the butter required I substituted it with homemade applesauce since with my IBS, I really can't eat butter much. I also added a quater of the yolks required and substituted the rest with just egg whites and you know what, it turned out really rather well. It was moist and very tasty. Still, the filling with condensed milk did make my tummy upset a little but all in all it turned out quite well.
I also decided to try out the chocolate caramel filled cookies I found while browsing on http://www.bakeorbreak.com/category/cookies/
She has such an amazing website. Her food looks delicious always. I just drool - literally.
It turned out quite well and we gave some to our neighbor since they so graciously gave us their extra shovel so we could unbury ourselves from the snow.

No comments: