adsense

Custom Search

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pistolets (Split Rolls)

Another butterless, milkless and eggless bread recipe I found in the Ultimate Bread Book that my mom gave me is the recipe for Pistolets. Basically they are just a Baguette only shaped differently. Granted, mine look more like butt cheeks than split rolls, they still tasted great and I have come to realise that although making breads by hand takes forever, the result really is far superior and easier than I thought that it would be.



Pistolets (Split Rolls) from Ultimate Bread Book

2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1 2/3 C water
3 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 ts salt

I used instant yeast so I added the yeast in the flour with the salt also. Making a hole in the center of the flour mixture, I poured 1 1/4 C of warm water into the center and used a wooden spoon to draw flour into the water and continued to add water if it was too dry until a sticky dough formed.

Turn onto a floured surface, knead for 10 minutes till smooth and soft.

Put dough in a clean bowla nd cover for 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down, recover and let rise 45 minutes. PUnch down and recover and let rise another 45 minutes.

Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each into a smooth ball. Sift a dusting of flour over rolls and using a wooden spoon handle press down across the center of each ball to make an indentation. Dust with more flour in indentation. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F and bake for 20-25 minutes.


No comments: