adsense

Custom Search

Monday, April 16, 2007

SINLESS LIGHT SCALLION DROP BISCUITS

I guess I'm one of those people who can't have a satisfying dinner without a nice side of carbs, especially breads. For example, I think I could, I know I could be satisfied eating just breadsticks and salad from Olive Garden without touching my entree. I have always loved the buttery cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster but as we all know, the fat content in those are sky high and obviously with my IBS I can't take it. So I have been in search of a fluffy light, IBS friendly cheese biscuit for weeks but all I could find were recipes calling for bisquick and I HATE using package ingredients. It just seems so...unrewarding in the end. I finally found a recipe from Cooking Light that satisfied my belly. I adapted the ingredients a little bit, which I put in brackets.







SCALLION DROP BISCUITS
2 C flour
2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts baking soda
3 tbs vegetable shortening (I substituted it with Earth Balance soy butter)
1/4 C finally chopped Scallions
(1/4 C parmesan cheese)
1 C buttermilk ( I used 1 C soymilk + 1tbs apple cider vinegar)

Mix soymilk and apple cider vinegar together and set aside.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together.

Cut butter into the flour mixture with 2 knives. Once mixture is crumbly, add in milk (I had to add an extra 3-4 tbs cause it was too dry) and stir till just combined, then add in Scallions and parmesan cheese.

Drop by tablespoons onto greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.


2 comments:

thisgoodhearth said...

Wow! Looks like you have been very busy frying and cooking!!
Love the ideaof the scallion biscuiits. Sent offyour parcel today,should getitMonday!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those drop biscuits look very interesting! All your recipes look yummy...