adsense

Custom Search

Monday, April 30, 2007

Good for you cookies!

I am embarrassed to say, that the only reason that I have not updated my blog is because...I am so ashamed to say it...I have befriended J.K. Rowling...more like her books. I told my managers how ashamed I am that I am checking out Harry Potter books. Honestly, it was so innocent to start off with. I was merely curious about the hype and considering I hated the movies, I figured the books couldn't be any better but since I can check books out for free it seemed worth it. It has been 3 weeks and I am now on my 3rd Harry Potter book. I seriously cannot put it down. I checked this 3rd one out on saturday and read half of it in 2 days. Perhaps the 4th will be chekced out on Saturday. :-) Honestly, I took me a good 3 hours to pry myself from reading just so I could blog. I needed to. It has been far too long and I have some new recipes I tried.

I've been wanting to make the Chewy chocolate chip cookies from King Arthurs Whole Grain Baking for quite some time, but half not wanting to tempt myself into eating the whole batch and the other half not having soy butter in the fridge had prevented me from making them. None the less, this is an overnight recipe and...yeah...pretty darn delicious! The whole wheat definitely gives them a very peanutty flavor. I think I like this being an overnight recipe since you can just scoop it out whenever you want the next day and bake it. I made some substitutions to make it IBS friendly, in parenthesis.


CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES - King Arthur Whole Grain Baking

3/4 C unsalted butter (I used soy butter)
1 C light brown/dark brown sugar
2 ts vanilla extract
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts espresso powder (optional - I omitted this)
1/4 ts baking powder
1/3 C light corn syrup/brown sugar corn syrup
1 tbs cider vinegar
2 large eggs (I substituted this with egg whites)
2 1/4 C whole wheat flour
3 C semisweet/bittersweet chocolate chips

Melt the butter then stir in the sugar. Heat till it begins to bubble and then transfer to bowl to cool till lukewarm.

Sitr in vanilla, salt, bs, espresso powder, bp, corn syrup and vinegar. Add eggs, beating after each addition, followed by flour, stirring to combine and mix in chips. Refrigerate dough, cover overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F. Lightly grease 2 baking seets.

Drop by tablespoons and bake 12 - 13 minutes, remove and allow to cool on pan.

This makes a good 4 dozen cookies, so there's enough to freeze and save for some other time. What could be better?

No comments: