adsense

Custom Search

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Garlic Naan


Somehow for me, it seems easier or perhaps more interesting and fun to make breads than it is for me to cook actual food for dinner. I could never be on the carb diet. It's born in me to reach my hand out for bread daily.


The Chinese make amazing breads. I LOVE their paus filled with char sui, or red bean or lotus paste. YUM. I love their bakery items. How they smack together corn kernals and sausage and dough and make into some so delicious is beyong my dreams.


And lets not forget the Malaysian Roti Canai. No matter how many different recipes I try out and how many times I make it, it doesn't ever taste as wonderful as it does back in Seremban at the hackers stands. They make it look so easy, stretching the dough so thinly, but when I try to do it, it does everything BUT stretch out for me.


So the other night I decided to make Garlic Naan since I have been craving indian food for months. It's hard trying to find recipes online when you don't know exactly how they are going to turn out and it is pretty disappointing when it doesn't turn out after having spent hours preparing it with love.


None the less. I found a great recipe for Garlic Naan which I found on http://www.indiaforvisitors.com . I changed the recipe slightly since 1/4 ts of yeast didn't seem fitting to me at all. I made it 1/2 ts of yeast instead and it turned out really well.


GARLIC NAAN


1/2 ts yeast
4 tbs white sugar
1 C warm water
1 beaten egg
3 tbs milk
2 ts salt
4 1/2 C flour
2 tbs minced garlic
4 tbs butter (I omitted this)


I added the yeast to the flour mixture (sugar, salt, flour) and mixed to incorporate. I added the warm water, followed by the beaten egg and milk. I used a wooden spoon to draw the flour into the wet ingredients and then dumped it out on a floured surface and kneaded it to combine it.


I covered it in a bowl and let it sit ontop of the oven. I had muffins baking in there so it worked out. The heat from the oven helped my dough rise superfast! After it has doubled in size, punch down and knead in garlic on a floured surface.
Divide the dough into 12 balls, cover and let rest for 30 minutes or so.


Preheat the broiler. Stretch each ball into a long tear shape and place on greased baking sheet. Once all dough is on the baking sheets place under broiler for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully as it cooks uber fast! Turn it over and then watch again for another 1-2 minutes.


Viola! Easy as pie. You may brush with melted butter and top with more minced garlic.


I thought that since the recipe only had 3 tbs of milk and 1 egg, that my IBS wouldn't flare up but alas it did. I have been in pain the last 3 days because of my stupid need to consume yummy Naan. Next time, I'll try and see what happens if I use egg whites instead of a whole egg and soymilk instead of regular milk. It might work.

No comments: