adsense

Custom Search

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Drool....Zester!!

I have always wanted a zester, and for christmas I got one, from Holly, Brandons sister. YES! So I just HAD to put it to the zest! (I am SO corny). I had also been craving lemon loaf ever since Thanksgiving when Neals mom made some. So I decided it was high time, even though Brandon doesn't like lemony things, i just HAD to use up those lemons I had purchased, otherwise they would go to waste. HEHEHEHEHEHE. This recipe is from 'The essential baking cookbook,' again. It has been so good to me. What is distinctively amazing about this recipe is the topping on it. It really helps to counteract the natural sourness of the lemon. It's a sugar crusted topping. It seriously is the BEST lemon loaf I have ever had (not pushing my mad baking skills, just the amazing recipe - oh you english sure know what good baking is).




LEMON CAKE WITH CRUNCH TOPPING

8 oz unsalted butter, sofened (or butter flavored crisco works really well)
6 1/2 oz caster sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind (zester you rock)
4 eggs lightly beaten
2 C all-purpose flour
1 ts baking powder
2 tbs lemon juice (fresh)

Topping

1/2 C sugar
1/4 C lemon juice

Preheat oven 325 degress F. Lightly grease loaf pan.

Cream butter & sugar in small bowl with beaters till light and fluffy. Beat in lemon rind, then add egg gradually, beating well after each addition. Transfer this to a large bowl.

Use large metal spoon fold in flour mixture (flour, baking powder, 1/4 ts salt, and lemon juice) Stir till combined and almost smooth.

Spoon mixture into tin and smooth surface. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or till skewer comes out clean when inserted. (My loaf took less than time alloted so watch carefully).

Remove from tin and turn out on wire rack.

For topping, mix sugar and lemon juice but don't dissolve the sugar. Quickly brush over top of warm cake and let cool so topping has time to harden.

VIOLA!



No comments: