adsense

Custom Search

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Passion is in the air

We're rolling into that age group where all our friends are married. It's a scary thought actually, not marriage but that we're in the 25-30 age group in questionnaires. I feel old everytime I check that box. I literally hear my back crack and give way. In a way though, it is a great thing. Neither husband nor wife have to ask their friends "do you mind if my wife/husband comes too?" it is expected if not compulsory.

The last of our friends here in Corpus Christi just got hitched (lol). So there is absolutely no singleness around town. We were all unable to make it to their wedding because well the wives had work and the men had their planes to fly. So we all decided to be nice and surprise them with a "It's too late to turn back now," party. Kidding! We just wanted to show them we care. So we all got together at Dave and Andreas house for dinner last friday. Everyone brought a dish. Andrea said she was going to get a cake. I couldn't let that happen even though I was going to have a busy week with school and work. There was no way I could justify a store brought cake. Snobby? Yes.
It was only AFTER I had offered to make the wedding cake that I realised 'I have NEVER made a wedding cake before." When, am I going to have time to make this????? Anywhos, I made a mental sketch in my head. Something simple, something light blue. Out out popped this cake.

I baked 2 - 9" chiffon cakes and sliced each cake into 3 layers. Each layer recieved a generous helping of passion fruit syrup and a layer of ganache. I covered it marshmellow fondant and it was simple enough but this texas heat just made it 3 times more difficult than it needed to be. It stuck to everything! even though I kept smothering it with more powered sugar. You know, I was going to get those pretty pearl decorative balls. That was until I found out they were like $11-$14 for 40 of them. Then I said "Simple does it."


If you ever want to make a very moist, easy and tender cake I recommend the Chiffon cake. It keeps SO well and honestly, there was no need for the passionfruit syrup since the cake itself had no hint of dryness at. So definitely use this recipe if you ever want to bake a cake.
CHIFFON SPONGE CAKE - The Professional Pastry Chef by Bo Friberg
3/4 C vegetable oil
8 egg yo9lks
1 C water, room temp
1 tbs vanilla extract
14 oz cake flour
14 oz granulated sugar
4 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
8 egg whites
  1. Line pans with parchment paper but don't grease the sides of pan
  2. Whip vegetable oil and yolks together just to combine. Stir in water and vanilla extract
  3. Sift cake flour, 1/3 sugar, baking powder and salt together. Stir into egg yolk mixture then whip on high for 1 minute. Set aside.
  4. Whip whites to a foam and gradually add remaining sugar and whip to stiff peaks. Fold meringe into reserved batter. Divide between pans.
  5. Bake 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes till cakes spring back when pressed lightly in center.
  6. Invert and let cool on cooling rack.

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A pretty cake! Sober and beautiful!

Cheers,

Rosa

thisgoodhearth said...

Nice gesture and NICE cake!!
Wished I could have tasted it!

Bev and Ollie "O" said...

such a beautiful cake! You clever thang you!

Emily said...

Good job on making the wedding cake! I would be freaked out. You pulled it off though. I bet this was delicious.

Unknown said...

oooo pretty off white colours!
hey val i've shifted blog now.
i'm at
www.muntedkowhai.blogspot.com


seeya!

Heather said...

wow, that looks lovely! you're a good friend :) the icing job looks so well done and professional!!

Chef E said...

Nice site, and I am an artist and would love to be on that show Ace of Cakes, but my baking is the luck of the draw! Actually...BTW, we loved Oregon and my husband would move there in a second to be near the wineries and it was gorgeous! Texas, where is Texas???

Unknown said...

hey val
i've put up photos of some new pieces that i've done. you can look through them to give you a good idea of what you might like.

www.flickr.com/photos/muntedkowhai

i'm off to vegas on thursday!!!!!

The Caked Crusader said...

What an elegant cake - you did a great job