adsense

Custom Search

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Carrot to try?

It's surprising how long it took for me to make ANYTHING baked containing carrots ever since I made 200 some carrot cakes back in December at work. I've wanted to but the thought of what I went through; the batter splattered chef coat, carrot stained hands, pastry shortening up to my ears and the annoyance of having to take turns on the mixer and ovens when I had a deadline; made me quite unwilling to bake carrot muffins which I had craved since before December until now.
Finally, I was able to bring myself to making these carrot muffins and these are IBS safe, so good for you and better for your tummy! Enjoy!

CARROT MUFFINS - Valerie Adams

3 Medium sized carrots, peeled and grated
1/4 C apple sauce, natural
3/4 C oil
1 1/2 ts Vanilla extract
3/4 C eggbeaters
Mix wet ingredients together until complete combined


2 C flour, All Purpose
1 C granulated sugar
3/4 ts Baking Soda
1 1/2 ts Baking Powder
1/2 ts salt
1 ts cinnamon
1/2 ts nutmeg
Mix the dry ingredients together

Then fold wet ingredients into the dry.

Finally add:

1 C shredded coconut
1/2 C chopped and toasted pecans

Spray muffins pan with olive oil spray and then divide batter evenly between muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.

I hardly eat any "real" dinner, what most people would consider dinner cause sometimes I just can't stomach it with my IBS, but the other day I concocted something so yummy! Emmm! I had some leftover cooked penne pasta and here is my creation:

CHIPOTLE PORCINI PENNE - Valerie Adams

5-6 dried porcini mushrooms (hydrated in some warm water)
1/2 tomato cut into chunks
1/2 Vandalia onion, sliced thinnly
Chipotle pepper (dried, ground) to taste

Heat up some olive oil in a saute pan, and sautee onions till soft, then add in penne pasta, toss in tomatos and the porcini mushrooms (squeese out water).
Sautee and add some of the mushroom water for flavor and moisture. Add in the chipotle pepper to taste. Dish up!

Now, I just made myself hungry. I better make dinner - but what? Hmm....

11 comments:

Christine said...

The texture of the carrot muffins looks really good!

I can completely relate to the feeling you had with the carrots. I sometimes get into a bread overload and I cannot stand the thought of making any for at least a month.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those muffins look delicious and that dish very tasty! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

thisgoodhearth said...

This I will have to try! You should think about writing up an IBS diet cookbook!

Shannon Lynn said...

Those carrot muffins look absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I am going to try my hand at it too!

Unknown said...

Christina - Yeah definitely with the bread thing, although I always go hobbling back to bread. I wish I wasn't such a carb lover! It would help me stay in better shape! hhahaha

Rosa - Thanks! They were moist, I think the applesauce helped with that alot.

mom - Shh! That's my job when I am a stay-at-home-mom. I said "when." lol

slshacka - Hey, thanks for stopping by! Yeah definitely try it and let me know what you think!

Emily said...

I love the muffins. They sound so good and healthy! These are good for your eyes, too.

Pasta sounds great, of course.

Abby said...

Neat to see IBS-safe food. I *think* I struggle with it, too, but not to the point that I've brought it up at the doctor. I just try to mix up my diet in how the Web has told me would help!

Great recipes. Thanks!

Marye said...

I love carrot muffins.
But hte chipotle pasta? Now THAT sounds incredible.
blessings,
marye
bakingdelights.com

Unknown said...

emiline - gees, carrots have the opposite effect on me cause I'm as blind as a bat!

Abby - Yeah, it forces me to eat "healthier" but when I cheat, it tears up my stomach. It's so not worth cheating but sometimes I just do it. hahaha

Marye - Yeah I love anything with a kick to it, but I generally just LOVE food. I'm a little piggy.

Don Garcia said...

Those carrot cakes really looks tasty and yummy...Thanks for sharing it..

Jared said...

Those carrot muffins look great. Even better that they are healthy for you too.