adsense

Custom Search

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lime away!

I've noticed ever since I have been here in Florida, that the prominent dessert in every restaurant is the one, the only.....

KEY LIME PIE!!!!!!!

I had my doubts as to whether my tastebuds would accept this "key lime thing." I mean, the ingredients were so few, I wasn't sure it would turn into anything really. Turned it did though. I must say that I really LOVE the flavor. It's almost cheesecake like in consistency and taste. That tartness was fantastic, but I've always been for tartness. Brandon however, wasn't too thrilled about it, though he had said he would like to try it since he likes the keylime yogurt. lol. Well...now I have a huge pie in the fridge that I feel really badly for. So I suppose it's up to me to eat it ;-)

KEYLIME PIE

Graham Crust: 3 C graham cracker crumbs, mixed with 2-3 oz butter. Pat into pie dish. Bake 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes (may be less)

Pie filling:
24 oz condensed milk (I used low fat)
3/4 C freshly squeezed lime juice
2 eggs (I used 1 whole egg, and 1/4 C eggbeaters)

Mix condensed milk with beaten eggs, mix thorougly. Then add 3/4 C lime juice.
Combine, then pour into graham cracker crust. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Refrigerate till ready to serve.

Traditionally, it is topped with a meringue topping so I thought I would be "traditional" rather than serving it with whipped cream. Yeah, I didn't like the meringue much. It was much better without any topping.


I found out this morning that the bakery I was going to work for isn't going to hire me now because the head pastry chef had a heart attack and there is no one to train me. So, naturally I was pretty devastated and when brandon left to study with Dermit, I just had to bake away the nerves. Getting back on track with my bible study helped the most though. I don't know why I stopped, but that is a goal of mine from now on, to get back on track with my bible study time. So back to baking. I needed to bake. Whenever something goes not "my" way, it is relaxing for me to bake. My mind just zones out completely from the world. I made mini banana loaves.

MINI BANANA LOAVES

3 bananas, mashed
1/4 C eggwhites, beaten
1/3 C total apple sauce & oil mixed together (half of each)
1/2 ts baking soda
1/4 ts salt
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour all purpose
Chopped up bakers chocolate (as much as your little heart desires :-D)

Mix the bananas with the eggwhites, then the oil & applesauce, the baking soda, the salt and the sugar. Mix thorougly to combine. Lastly, add the flour and mix till incorporated. Fold in chopped chocolate.

Pour into greased mini loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or till thorougly cooked and browned on top.

The last step: EAT!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

key lime pie, oooo that sounds rather good especially when i have a sweet tooth which is once in a blue moon.
don't worry val, i'm sure you'll find something easily. you could always c ome back, i hear st honore is hiring!

Unknown said...

Thanks tiff...if only they had something nice like that down here.

I wish I didn't have such a sweet tooth. lol

Deborah said...

I LOVE key lime pie!! And I didn't know that it is traditionally made with meringue - I've never had it that way before. And the banana loaves look tasty as well!

Emily said...

You should freeze the leftover pie, chop it up, and fold it into some vanilla ice cream. Then you would have Key Lime Pie ice cream.
Eh?
Sorry the new job isn't going to work out. What can you do though? The guy had a heart attack, so you can't exactly go yell at him.

Banana loaves look good, too.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm addicted to Key Lime Pie!!! Yours looks fantastic! Those mini loaves are very beautiful, wow! Why am I suddenly feeling hungry ;-P?!?

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

Deborah - thanks for commenting. Yeah, I know, it has a VERY addicting flavor. When I'm at school, I'm constantly thinking about wanting to eat it. lol.

Rosa - :-) I know, I always get hungry when I look at blogs even when it's really early in the morning when I shouldn't even be hungry. Well, I do love food...lol

Cynthia said...

Thanks for your thoughts and comments on key lime pie. I've never had it but when and if I do, I'll know what to expect.

I've bookmarked the mini banana loaves because they are irresistable.