So, I flipped through my "bread bible" book and found a scone recipe that didn't require me dragging my post-Christmas body to the grocery store. I made half with chocolate chips and half with blackberries. Have you guys noticed the price of blackberries?????? So although they are not million dollar berries, they are quite expensive for the number of berries you get. Aside from the price they were delicious but this is the last fattening recipe that I will be gobbling down myself. I'm going to try to bake healtheir in 2009!!!!!
Rose Levy Beranbaum
Unsalted butter, cold - 1 C
All purpose unbleached flour - 4.5 C
Sugar - 1/2 C
Baking powder - 2ts
Baking soda - 1/2 ts
salt - 1/4 ts
heavy cream - 2 C
currants (I used chocolate chips and blackberries) - 1 C
- Cut butter into 1 in cubes and place in freezer for 10 minutes
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter with fingertips until size of small walnuts. Stir in cream to just moisten flour into large clumps. Stir in chocolate chips and knead together. (For blackberries I added them when I shaped the dough)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F 30 minutes prior to baking and have baking stone inside oven as it preheats.
- Flour top of dough and counter lightly and roll out into rectangle 1 in thick. I added a few blackberries on the dough now. Then fold dough like you would croissant dough. (Fold right side to the center and then the left side ontop) Repeat 2 more times adding blackberries everytime you roll out dough.
- Cut the dough into triangles and place onto parchment time baking stone and bake for 15-20 minutes until edges begin to brown and tops are golden brown and firm enough when pressed lightly with a finger. Let cool.